Thursday, September 07, 2006

Don't Moon Me

So, I should've known. I know better and I should be prepared. For the night of the full moon (read specifically the folklore paragraph).

It sucks.

We've noticed the trend, it isn't monthly, but more regular than not. On such nights, Sir Four Year Old Insomniac Ben won't sleep. He either (a) takes hours to get to sleep, or (b) falls asleep as per the norm (as 'norm' as his sporadic bedtime routines can be) and then wakes up for a period ranging from 1-4 hours. We are in Operation Mode B tonight. He was all tucked in, snoozing away well before 8:15...then around 9:20 I hear the all too familiar whiny version of "Mommy...Mommy...Mommy..."

It is now 10:28. P.M. Sigh.
  • a drink of water please
  • I can't sleep
  • It's too light
  • It's too dark
  • I'm too excited about the new day
  • when will it be the new day
  • can I change my jammas?
  • where is sydney? seepher?
  • are you asleep yet?
  • can I have more water
  • please bring me a kleenex
  • I have another booger
I have heard of such stories from docs and nurses that the L&D wards in hospitals are nutso on full moon nights. I was a victim to such, in the sense that I was put on the induction list on a Thursday, and didn't get the call until Monday on account of the "weekend craziness from the full moon". At that time, I was so desperate to breathe that I called total bullshit. THAT sure came back to bite me in the moon.

There are likely more than a gazillion theories and researches and articles written about such, but I just gotta know...is this for real??

I am so doomed.

And of course THIS being the ONE night I committed to going to bed before 10, instead of my usual night owl hours of 12-1. Why? I'll tell you (as if you asked, ha ha) I tend not to sleep all too well when DH is away in such places like KUWAIT. I toss and turn and check CNN hourly for terrorist attacks, place crashes etc. He left Monday, due back next Wednesday, that's 9 sleeps in total, 6 to go, or 5 in case we don't get ANY tonight. I will clarify that on Saturday he leaves Kuwait and goes to the Maldives for more meetings. Nice contrast eh? So, finding myself a little more fatigued than usual, I promised myself an early bedtime. Why don't I just go to bed earlier every night? I have no clue, but I know I should.

"Mommy, I need you" - 10:51 PM.

Should I tell the kid to add another Scary letter to the time = P.M.S. and that is SO me right now which isn't helping. Nah, I'll just moon him, for real. That'll either scare him to sleep, or we'll laugh our heads off, and since we aren't sleeping anyway. I choose laughter. Photos NOT to follow.

4 Comments:

Blogger BeachMama said...

Oh Nancy, I do hope you guys got to sleep eventually. I never really thought about the full moon thing, but that would work out here too. J was up and up and up and came to sleep with us, twice. It was a rocky night. Now I will want to try to check again on the next full moon to see if it is the same.

As for Hubby being in Kuwait! Oye, My heart goes out to you. Will be thinking of him and wishing you some sleep while heis gone.

Hugs.

8:16 AM EDT  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

oh no nancy, not a kid with insomnia. Would it help if he came to sleep with you? And Trevor just sleeps thorugh all this?

I hear you on not sleeping well when hubby is away, I'm the same.

and the maldives, I just had to click on that link and made myself sick with envy. If I ever went there with hubby, I would never see him: he's be underwater the whole time;)

wishing you a better night tonight and a safe return for your hubby

10:59 AM EDT  
Blogger Cup said...

I get a bit out of sorts will full moons, too -- insomnia, weird moods (sometimes manic and fun, others deeply blue for no reason).

Praying for DH's safe return.

BTW, I blogrolled you. Hope you don't mind.

12:09 PM EDT  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Nancy

I'm Hubby will be fine. As for B will he's gonna be a night owl, like his Mother. ;)

Nathan has had trouble sleep since school started and Yes I'm blaming school and the FULL Moon.

Hugs kiddo

8:08 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home