Thursday, April 06, 2006

Open letter...

To the two lanky 15 year old boys (men?) sitting on the bench eating your take-out poutine and drinking your cans of coke, of whom I had worried would steal the Corona out of my basket while the boys & I trucked the groceries out to the van and back because I REFUSE to leave them unattended even for 1 minute, even if I locked the van, (at this little strip mall carts are not permitted off the sidewalk)

Thank you.

Not 'thank you' for not stealing my beer.

Thank you.

Thank you for offering to help me (and me readily accepting) so I didn't have to do more than one trip. You practically brought tears to my eyes. After I thanked you profusely, and you said "Hi-5" and "See ya later dudes" to my dumbfounded little boys, who had NO clue who you were or why the hell you were helping me, I made a big point of saying to them, "I can only hope that you will grow up to be that kind and respectful of others and not be too cool not to help someone one day."

In fact you did bring tears to my eyes. Restoring a little bit of faith.

Thank you.

(and you were kinda cute too)

14 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Aw, I love that! What an example for your little guys.

9:01 PM EDT  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

OH Nancy! How cool is that?! Yes there are teenagers that are well brought up out there and I'm blessed that Miranda has a bunch of those types of fellows as Boyfriends and friends.

I teared up too!

10:38 PM EDT  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Awesome. It looks like somewhere close to you two Mom's are doing a great job. Sorry you had to think for a small moment that they were going to steal your Corona. Let's hope they don't let you down and get too cool, and perhaps another day you will see them helping out someone else.

6:27 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love being surprised like that. Things like that restore my faith in humanity a little bit too.

8:30 AM EDT  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

Awww, how lovely! Think I could trade them for the surly 15 year old man/boy next door? The one I am afraid will key our car or worse if I look the wrong way at him? The one I called the cops on last week?

Sigh. Good to know there are good boys out there. We've got our work cut out for us to make sure that's our boys in ten years or so!

8:35 AM EDT  
Blogger SRH said...

15 year old boys are an odd lot. Be happy you caught them on a good day.

9:17 AM EDT  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

LOL at what srh said!

I would bet your buys being just like taht!

6:12 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always did have a soft spot for "lanky lean 15 year olds" !!!
That is an awesome tale!

7:40 PM EDT  
Blogger Carol said...

Great post, Nancy.

I can relate.
A few months ago the neighbor boy and his friend helped me unload the groceries. Over the years, we have had a few difficulties, but he continues to amaze me with his friendliness and helpfulness.
Let's hear it for these young men!

10:38 PM EDT  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

There are still good people! :)

1:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Bad Alice said...

I love it when people surprise us like that. We are so used to hearing about the bad things teenagers do, particularly teenage boys.

9:14 AM EDT  
Blogger Suzanne said...

This is so encouraging! Sometimes I just want to throw up my hands over the state of humanity in general, and then a story like this shatters a stereotype and makes me feel that not all is lost.

9:45 PM EDT  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Very good!! I like the "kinda cute" part the best!!

1:51 PM EDT  
Blogger T said...

Kids these days...
sometimes they really surprise you.
Aren't they great?

You should write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. It is always so nice to read the ones that show kids doing good.

11:27 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home