Sunday, March 12, 2006

You didn't decide



People people people, oh how you have let me down.

All I wanted was for YOU to make my life easier and select for me the laminate for my bathroom countertop, that's all. What is so difficult about that?

You see, I was all set on travertine, but all the displays I see show it so beautifully with an ivory coloured sink (not standard white). The ivory coloured one is significantly more expensive, but I was able to get over that and deal with the white sink. Not so much the price, but the turmoil of having mismatched porcelain in the bathroom (tub and turlit both white).

Then one night as I was perusing yet another place, I fell upon concrete stone. It looks almost similar to the travertine, but instead of beige-ish, it is more greyish. Then the white sink would look just fine. But alas, further confusion persists:

pros for travertine:
I like it
neutral enough to match anything
should be able to find yet another beige-ish paint to go with it

cons for travertine:
my whole frickin house is beige-ish, if I can't go out on a limb in a measly bathroom, then where can I?
need expensive ivory sink
mismatched porcelain pieces sure to send me over the edge

pros for concrete stone:
it's something new & different for us
i like it
white sink will go beautifully
not afraid to try it cause small counter is fixable if I hate it (would cost less than $100)

cons for concrete stone:
will take me a year to pick a paint colour to go with it
may also need new towels to match

So NOW stop your googling and your stoopid Jeopardy games....which one is it:

Travertine

or Concrete Stone

16 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Travertine
color
it is kind of neutral too

Concrete Stone
nice cold name for the bathroom (this might be a con)
good neutral color if the other colors are bright

2:25 AM EST  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Ack, I love them both! But, because I have a similar counter to the travertine, style wise. I would love to have the real thing to replace the melamine that is in there now :) But, it is your bathroom and I wouldn't be able to have mix matched sink, potty, and bath!

6:55 AM EST  
Blogger keda said...

concrete stone definately. walk away from the beige. now.

8:53 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Concrete stone. It's the new Travertine.

12:02 PM EST  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

I liked both so I flipped a coin Head Travertine. Tails Concerte stone

The Stone won 2 out of 3 times

So I did this Scientficly for you!

2:24 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

"cons for concrete stone:
will take me a year to pick a paint colour to go with it
may also need new towels to match"

By the way:
I'll pick your paint. Japanese Paper, by Sico. I love it so much I want to paint the world that colour.

Towels? You say "Oh dear, I'll have to buy all new fluffy fun cosy fresh towels" like it's a bad thing. Towels, you can buy the washcloths in lotsa colours to bring home and choose, and then return them toward your eventual choice. Easier than paint even.

Also, my next-door neighbours have their countertops done in concrete stone, dyed a dark grayish-green, and I love it so much I fondle them whenever I'm house-sitting. My dream is to do my kitchen counters in it some day. So I'm biased.

And having mis-matched porcelain would bug me thoroughly. Every day. Several times a day. Unless, you got funky and did one of those fun mosaic sinks or something wacky-coloured!

3:50 PM EST  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

Now that Marla has evoked the image of her fondling your countertop, how could you choose anything but the concrete stone?

I can't see the travertine, but I like warm much better than cool for that kind of thing, and I think the travertine sounds warmer, in a beig-ey sort of way. You can always punch it up with accessories and paint - says the woman with a $2 garage sale shelf in the bathroom that had the ugly border peeled off but no fresh paint ... for over a year.

8:39 PM EST  
Blogger nancy said...

Marla - you do realize that we are using melamine/laminate (whatever you call it) and sadly not real concrete. I had dreamed of going granite/marble but was promptly directed to shop in the other aisle.

GREAT input - keep it coming!!

8:30 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

OH! Well that changes EVERYTHING. But just in case:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/author/dcn/conccounter-a.shtm

So NOW I say - if it's indeed under $100, go funky. Choose something wild and beautiful - indigo, vermillion, chartreuse... It will have a HUGE impact (more than wall colour or towels even, and you can still coordinate other colours with it). Colour will look great with a white sink too.

11:12 AM EST  
Blogger Isabella said...

Concrete Stone!
p.s. I feel your pain, am in middle of bathroom redo too.
--Mel

8:11 AM EST  
Blogger keda said...

i'm agreeing with marla.
please as i said before... "step away from the beige!"

if its melamine then you could go even braver and try COLOUR.... imagine that!

if you are not ready for that then please stick with the slight alternative to the dreaded 'b'.

good luck*

12:32 PM EST  
Blogger The Idiot Speaketh said...

Travertine will go better with a Speedo...go with that...

2:16 PM EST  
Blogger Ann D said...

And where was the green choice?

BTW -- I've tagged a bunch of Sound of Music stuff at Amazon.com. (I tagged some of it "cult classic", which means it's now mixed in with the Rocky Horror Picture Show stuff. Won't those people be thrilled?) :-)

1:23 AM EST  
Blogger jo(e) said...

Obviously, you want the concrete stone, or you would have gone with all the people who said travertine on your last post ....

3:55 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

travertine

6:40 AM EST  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

Ah, bathroom!

Forget the beige, go with something funky, heck its just a small space, be daring!

Do you recall my laundry room? Firetruck red countertops and cheery yellow walls and accessories...I dared, so can you!

Although I still love the pattern on the travertine, my final answer would be "concrete stone" on this one with white sinks and rich blue accents and some yellow thrown here and there :)

11:04 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home