Friday, February 24, 2006

Random Thoughts

Gimme a break. It's Friday and it's been a looooong couple of weeks.
~~~~~~~~~~
Hubby is home!! Aaaaahhhhh (yes, in every way, shut up)
~~~~~~~~~~
Thanx to a book recommendation from
thethinkingsquare I decided to put down my current trends of mindless chick-lit and pop (NON?) fiction and grab Gifts from the Sea by Anne Morrow Londbergh. It is an extremely quick read, every mother/woman should read. It was written in 1975. It does have more mention to the 'housewife' than I'm used to and absolutely no mention of working mothers, but just keep in mind the date it was written. Put that aside and it is SUCH a good read. I can't recall many books that are 30+ years old that have made such an impact on me other than the Bible and Judy Blume.
~~~~~~~~~~
Oh, speaking of -
this is kinda humourous. I don't have a real true position/opinion on him, just got a kick out of it. Can't even remember how I found it. It's a BOOK people, get over it.
~~~~~~~~~~
Gush Gush alert
I volunteer the boys at McGill University for psychology / development / educational studies. Heck, I was a psych. student for years and was always looking for 'subjects' after quickly running out of using profs' kids. So, today was about vocabulary and language development for 2-4 year olds in bilingual environments. It is a voluntary and anonymous study, but the researcher did find it in her to mention that my boys have a vocabulary rating of 6-7 year olds. Hurrah! The pride, the satsfaction...until Twin A referred to her as a he. More than once. I laughed OUT LOUD and asked her if she would like to change her opinion. I was quickly reminded that it was vocabulary and not grammatical skills. LMAO!
~~~~~~~~~~
How do you deny a child a request for water when he says he is thirsty? We are working on Mr. B making it through the night - not necessarily dry - but without exploding his pull-up. I have heard the 'reduce fluids after supper' rule but it breaks my heart and somehow I think it is wrong to say "No" when a little boy says "I am thirsty, can I please have some water?" I do take him to pee before I go to bed around 11-midnight, and it does help some nights, but not all. Just having a hard time saying no. To that. Have an easy time saying no to many other things though, heh heh.
~~~~~~~~~~
And finally....Drum roll....it's DATE NIGHT with the LADIES!!!
Myself and two other twin moms are headed to a new local Italian eatery. Mandatory rules for the evening:
- make-up (Blistex does not count)
- no crayons at the table
- no booster seats
- no free toy with meal
- no balloons
- lots of seafood, spices, garlic, etc etc etc
- lots of chocolate
- lots of wine
Can't wait! (2 hours and counting...)

HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONE!!

13 Comments:

Blogger Good Things I Find said...

I am so glad you had a chance to read Gift from the Sea. Hard to believe when reading it that it was published the first time 50 years ago.

5:09 PM EST  
Blogger Good Things I Find said...

and remember absolutely no whining at the table. Have a great dinner out!

5:13 PM EST  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

I think B is just not read to be dry at night. Give him the water. NathanS till drinks milk before bed. Although only one cup and is a whole year older and he doesn't explode anymore and wakes up most mornings dry. My nephew is fainlly dry is now 5 1/2. Some kids are just not ready at 3.

It's sad really...It really is that your going out without the boys and have no one to take to the bathroom with you and no one to sit under the table and giggle. So sad and you know what's sadder.

Nathan had supper earlier than me and I'm having a glass of wine and eating pizza from the gorcery store and reading your blog.

Have fun...I'm not really jealous. Honest I'm not.

6:21 PM EST  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

And I won't even Mention anything about the hubby being home.

Nudge nudge wink wink

6:21 PM EST  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

that's a lot of thinking!

7:06 PM EST  
Blogger Carol said...

I haven't read that book. Most of the books I read are over 30 years old!
Hope you had a fun evening.
You did a great job with the piano playing tonight!

12:05 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I`m the flag bearer for the FFMB. Reading this post makes me smile. Those days of pull-ups and such are over in my family. I never thought I would look back on that time with fondness. But it does go by quickly. I hope your night out was enjoyable.

12:22 AM EST  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Have a nice weekend too. Am a member of the FFMB too from Carol.

2:14 AM EST  
Blogger BeachMama said...

HOpe you had a great night!! How awesome that you had time to reunite with Hubby ;), take the boys to McGill, and go for a ladies night, all while reading some great books :)

7:28 AM EST  
Blogger Isabella said...

Cool--hope you had fun!
--M.

9:20 AM EST  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

So wished I was one of the twin moms going out with you, hope you had a great time, you SO deserved it!!

I'm with you on the exploding pull-ups and limiting fluids at night, a tough one, those dry nights will come, right??

Congrats on volunteering your kids for the McGill study, having worked with "subjects" I know how appreciative they are for them. And way to go boys for your vocabulary skills!!

Enjoy having your husband around ;)

4:56 PM EST  
Blogger Erin said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful weekend planned!

Here with FFMB.

10:58 PM EST  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

With such a locquacious mom, there's little surprise that the Troops are big talkers!

I'm jealous of your girls' nite... hope it was excellent!!

xo Dani

7:33 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home