Thursday, February 16, 2006

Discipline, Dynamics, Disco

This morning we hosted a playdate. There were six kids. Three sets of twins. The age difference in fascinating, my boys are the oldest, the girls are exactly one year younger, and the boy/girl duo is within days one more year younger. Oh the noise, the noise noise noise (à la Grinch) except for that I loved every moment of it.

Dynamics were as such :

Mom to 20 month olds, "I can't wait cause I watch the girls and think that'll be my two in one year."
Mom to the one year old than that girls, "I look at the boys and can't believe that'll be my girls in another year, I can't wait."
Moi, "I sometimes wish my guys were 20 months old again..."

They look at me like I am insane. But what fun to wrestle with a 20 pound 20 month old who is all squishy and snotty and giggly, and how easy!! Don't misquote me, cause I would NEVER trade my preschooler bear hugs with anything, but they are double the weight, not so easy to throw over my shoulder. (without ending up in traction that is)

Disciplining was as such:

Oldest boy grabs toy from youngest boy. I mean grabs. The look of bewilderment on the little one's face is etched into my memory. He was borderline scared and dumbfounded. I was devastated and head over to 'chat' with the big boy on the issues of grabbing (which we do at least thrice daily anyway) but especially this time since the other kid is two years younger than him.

As I am about to do that, mother to littlest boy is quite pleased. Huh? WTF? Yes, she is literally happy that someone else grabbed the toy from him and she starts chatting with him about "now how does that feel?" Her reasoning is that he bullies his sister and always grabs things from her and she is so easy-going, never fights back so he has yet to learn that it is a 'bad' thing and hard for the Mommy to indicate it is wrong if it doesn't phase the sister.

So we end up giggling over how both us wanna use that one example for completely different reasons, well, sorta.

After jacking all the kiddies up with Valentine sugar cookies and raspberry muffins, and the mothers on too much caffeine...

The Disco went as such:

Five little monkeys jumping on a bed...one fell off and bumped his head...

Envision this : 6 children and 3 adults all blurtin this out at the top of our lungs while jumping around my kitchen like we were at the disco. It was almost too much fun. Too. Much. Fun.

I needed that.

6 Comments:

Blogger BeachMama said...

Sounds like a riot! I am often caught dancing around our family room to Raffi singing at the top of our lungs, nothing beats a good dance :)

6:31 AM EST  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

I'm moving down to you! That's sounds like one Disco I would have a hoot in!

We all need that. And yes I love that both can use one incident to have a lesson. What I hate is when the other mom gets upset when something goes wrong and I have been with that type many times. NOT fun

Party on Monkeys!

8:10 AM EST  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

Oh wow, what a party!!! And how funny that what you considered such horrible behaviour was actually a lesson for another kiddie. I'm sorry I couldn't be there!

9:32 AM EST  
Blogger Isabella said...

Now, THAT sounds like a party!

9:41 AM EST  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

party on!

10:18 PM EST  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

Wouldn't it have been a riot if my own monkeys were there as well...four set of twins all one year apart, cool!

I know exactly how that mom feels except in my case it was baby sister who was the bully and baby boy was never phased...how things have changed now though, urgh!!

11:05 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home