Monday, August 14, 2006

When was your first?

Our mini-camping/family road trip (FINALLY....ya ya I know, I know, shaddup!) was overflowing with 'firsts' for my little men, I can't stop thinking about them. In no particular order:

First camping trip. Period. It was just so bloody fantastic I can hardly wait till next time.

We actually stayed in a 'Kamping Kabin' which is like a glorified tent, still no amenities except bed frames, a roof and a door. It is almost too brilliant for camping with preschoolers. It also came with bonus first ever porch swing.
kamping kabin


First bunk beds - YA!!! I was a nervous wreck, and it went so well.
bunk

First time eating breakfast from those very fun (and overpriced) mini-cereal boxes.
cereal

First Jiffy Pop!!! (not recommended for anywhere but camping)
jiffypop

Save leftovers to use the next day to for first time ever to feed the ducks
ducks

Which could very well be their first law breakage
no ducks
(we really truly honestly swear on their lives did NOT see the bloody sign till we were on our way OUT of the park)

First bobsled ride
bobsled

First mini-golf
minigolf

First monarch butterfly
monarch

First swim in mountain pond. It. Was. Glorious.
pond

First real live fire. It was a bonafide campfire, but first real fire ever. And to go along, of course, my favourite memory, is first ever roasted marshmallows.
marshmallow

We just packed it in to every moment, but not in a stressful "OMG I just gotta do it" mode, but in a most enjoyable, "Heck, let's do it cuz we want to and can!" mode. We did hay rides, self-propelled go-carts, swimming, played games (learned Old Maid now commonly referred to as the "Old Lady game"), went for walks, met nice people, caught frogs and crickets and junebugs (holy shit those suckers are HUGE!) in our dollar store bug catchers, oh man...I could go on. The bestest part? Just being together, the four of us. Nobody else. Not being at home meant there was no running around, no chores, no neighbours, no phone, no email...it was just so great. Then we came home for two weeks of that running around shit. Next time, we stay longer.

Oh, and er, um, ahem....this last pic, definitely not my first (or last)
not first

12 Comments:

Blogger Marni said...

Looks absolutely wonderful. Looks like everyone had a great time.

7:49 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks wonderful... but with all those mini-boxes of bran cereals, I gotta wonder - what were the toilets like?

10:10 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Nancy, that was soooooo worth the wait! What a great photo essay of your trip. It makes me wish it was closer to us. That tent/cabin thingy looks like the perfect combination (love the swing). Each time I looked at a picture, I kept saying "Now THAT'S my favourite!" but they just kept getting better and better. Although as impressive as your front crawl is, I have to say that the marshmallow one takes the cake, er, um, maybe the porch swing, oh wait, there's also...OK, I'm off for another look.

11:27 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great update!! I had to comment – probably first and last time (but that is just me). An amazing trip with three great camping companions!! Can’t wait for next year and year after and so on. DH

2:27 PM EDT  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

OH Nancy

your joy come out in your words and the bestest part I can eve hear you say every word and how you would say it.

You make being a MOMMY sound like the bestest JOB Evar! (Yes It is)
Glad you had such a rockin' good time. And I love the the DH commented too!

Until Oct and TO!

2:42 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun times Nancy. You said exactly what I do about camping when we go. We get to do stuff together as a family without a walmart, costco, grocery store etc errand to run. We love it.

Thanks for sharing. Your excitement and happiness are seeping from my screen.

Oh and did you know that you can turn those little cereal boxes sidewides and eat out of them like they were a bowl. I'm all about the less dishes to do the better and it's a treat for the kids.

Donna

7:24 PM EDT  
Blogger jo(e) said...

What a great vacation! I love family camping trips. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

7:35 PM EDT  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

That was evil of you to switch to Flickr with these photos. I read every word at work today, but can't see Flickr photos through the firewall. I couldn't wait to get home and see the pix, and they were even BETTER than I imagined. What a fantastic, fun, memorable, exciting adventure for you and your men. And I don't have enough superlatives to compete with DH coming out of lurker mode - I'm very impressed!

I'm so happy the Kozy Kabins worked out for you guys. Will you take us along next year???

7:50 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it!!! What great pictures!!! I especially love the Corona!

11:42 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, back again.....still love 'em!

(Oh, and way to go DH on the comments...bet ya get bonus points from mummy for that one!)

11:29 AM EDT  
Blogger BeachMama said...

OH Nancy, what an awesome camping vacation. Now, I want to go camping too! Your photos are wonderful and I can just see you picking up your camera every five minutes. So many firsts packed into such a short amount of time. DH you are one fortunate man.

6:18 PM EDT  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

WOW! How fun! Can't stop looking at those pictures. Love how you've captured all those firsts! And that is truly what a family holiday is all about, spending time together away from the day to day stuff. Looks like this will become a family tradition, dh obviously had a great time too!

2:06 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home