Monday, January 23, 2006

X marks the spot

We, as Canadians have to vote today. I am obliged to vote. I am legally expected to vote. I must exercise my right as a citizen of my country and 'show my voice' and vote.

I don't want to.

HOW can one honestly walk into the polling booth and mark an X next to the name of someone they aren't totally sure they believe in. I know who I am 'supposed' to vote for. If I don't vote, I am a bad person. If I vote for the Green party I am told I am wasting my vote, but why? How can that be? On the news Elections Canada is adamantly reminding everyone that spoiling your ballot IS A CRIME. Intimidation, I think, cause this election (in my very NON-politically educated opinion) is a fucking waste of everything. Our time, energy, the MONEY spent on the campaign and the actual management of an election...all for what? Another wimpy-assed minority government so we get to do this all over again in a couple of years.

This is ridiculous.

I live in Quebec. The Bloc is here. I have asked this many times, and I am sure one of the answers I have received is accurate, but I still don't understand. HOW can a political party share so much representation in the Federal House of Commons when they are basically a provincially based party. For a Federal election, shouldn't there be some rule that said party should at least have acting parties in every province? How about at least half?

I better stop.

I don't want to vote. I don't believe in any one party being a leader better than the other. In fact, I think they are all rather pathetic. Politics is so crooked. Will my ONE measly missed vote be so horrible? I said this to my father and he was very upset with me. So, between him, my husband and the media insisting that I MUST go mark my X. I will begrudgingly do so. I only with Rick Mercer, or Don Cherry or William Shatner - some OTHER Canadian was in the running, then at least I'd feel that there would be a little tiny iota of change that may very well positively affect the life of me and my family in this beautiful country which I do so love very much. Perhaps I just don't show it so well some days.

18 days till the Winter Olympics start...GO CANADA GO!!!! Now if they could only find an athlete who wants to carry the flag...ay yi yi....don't get me started (again).

Out.

13 Comments:

Blogger SRH said...

Voting does suck when you are merely choosing between the lesser of evils.

8:33 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's going to be tough this time around. Really, it's hard to believe ANYTHING anyone says. But I am voting for an underdog - NDP - if anything, just to get a decent opposition.

8:45 AM EST  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

Yep.

9:35 AM EST  
Blogger Gawdessness said...

If you like a party for any reason at all, even if they don't have a chance of winning, then vote for them. They will get some money for each vote they recieve.

That's why you are hearing a lot more about the Green party this time around. They have a pretty big operating budget because they recieved something like a million votes in the last election.

As for me, I'm NDP mostly. I feel okay about that. Whenever I can I do some volunteer work with the party and the candidate. It isn't easy but it usually helps me feel sure about whether or not I want to vote for that person.

9:55 AM EST  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

OH nancy

I'm with you on that. I have no clue who to vote for although i know I will end up voting the way I always do to TRY and keep the Bloc out. I always end up with one in my riding. I hate that I have no choice in the matter on, well inmy mind. I can't vote on issues. i have to vote on trying to keep my country together.

And YES Don't get me going on the F'ing flag this. I think we should keep everyone who refuses home. They don't desreve to f'ing go. PIsses me right off.

Sorry...This really ticked me off.

10:12 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love my local MP so my vote is easy. I am actually looking very much forward to the election coverage tonight. Last go 'round, our little municipality was actually responsible for a last minute change in the results as our polling station got it's results in last, putting "our guy" in the chair. I nagged DH to head down and vote at the last minute, and gave him a big fat I told you so when he saw what happened at the last minute (he just made it in).

Tristan knows the "voting building" and he and Sawyer will be accompanying Cam and I to exercise our franchise.

10:39 AM EST  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Probably you just vote the closest way that works--or opposite the worst option.

1:08 PM EST  
Blogger BeachMama said...

I hear ya on the Bloc. They shouldn't be allowed to run. And they make my stomach churn. Although I was born and raised in Ontario. My family is Québecois. All my roots go from here to there and South after that. If you only vote for one reason today, make it a vote against the Bloc.

As for the flag, well, I'll carry it if no one else will. What the heck is with that? I am proud to be Canadian and I'll don the red and white for all of us.

Now what Canadian actor can we lure into politics??

2:29 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand about the not wanting to vote thing, but I do think it is important to express your opinion in a way that counts. Then at least you are doing something...how about declining to vote?

"Actually, the way to register a protest vote in Canada is to go to the polling place and when your ballot is given to you, hand it back and tell them you are declining the ballot. They must register it as a declined ballot and that is the functional equivalent of choosing 'none of the above'. Any marking placed on your ballot other than one mark for one candidate is counted as a spoiled ballot and the assumption is that you're from Florida and can't figure out how to tick off the right box."

4:43 PM EST  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

So? Did ya go after all?

9:48 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's at times like these that we have to remember what a tremendous privilege it is to live in a democracy like ours. Sure, we can gripe and complain that none of the choices is ideal. But since we aren't putting our own asses on the line to run for office, it is our duty to vote for SOMEONE, ANYONE who is. Democracy is hard. There are tough choices to be made. But at least we have a choice to make. Wars are being fought all over the world for this very right. Especially as women, we need to vote to make our voices heard. It wasn't that long ago that we weren't even considered "persons" under the law.
Just remember...no shots we fired at anyone voting in our country last night...that's worth more than just "something". We have to stop bitching and start participating.

9:52 AM EST  
Blogger nancy said...

Everyone has valid points, concerns.

ah - LMAO
Janet - nicely said
SRH - you said it
Andrea & gawdess - good for you

Until I see any changes, it willbe hard to have any faith in the system, or the govt itself. But I am willing to hope & wait for the sake of my family.

10:26 AM EST  
Blogger Carol said...

It is good to hear an opinion from Quebec as I am from western Canada.
I congratulate you on voting. Think of the women that devoted their lives to get this freedom for US.

I am a fellow Olympian...

12:07 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home