Friday, September 23, 2005

Just the usual

My hubby is away on business. This is a common occurrence in our lives. His recent trip has taken him to three ‘far away’ countries (we’re not talking Chicago or Toronto) over the next couple of weeks. He is so great and calls daily, or more, to check in with us. This time he tells me he is in Kingston. Period. I think he wants me to believe him it is Kingston, Ontario and not Kingston, Jamaica. Nice try. Last night his daily call was around 9:30 PM. The end of the day. I was crashed on the couch like a sad sack surrounded by a mess that resembles what Toys R Us would look like on a 75% off clearance day, the dishes weren’t done and the dust bunnies were so big I was confusing them with the cat. He asked how things were going, and what’s up, you know, the usual. So, I answer, “Oh, not much, just the usual.” He asks “Like what?" and my answer when something like this:

“Oh you know, nothing too exciting. We took the van in for the $30 oil change, which will cost about $175 for ‘other things’. B was playing jump rope with his blankie and fell backwards on to the corner of our bed frame, he only needed 1 ½ stitches, which btw, they didn’t freeze him for, but was a superstar and didn’t cry so we went to “For Toys For Us” for a reward and came home with a new Rescue Hero. The doorbell rang around 2 PM and it was my bestest childhood friend who lives in T.O. who I haven’t seen in almost 2 years. Yes, that friend. Freaked me out I was covered in goosebumps and bawled like a baby and freaked the kids out. We went to a friend’s house for a Happy Hour party/supper thingy with about 15 kids running around which was actually terrific (but not so quiet) so we got home a bit late which meant bedtime was a little squirrelly. B broke the hand held mirror while I was brushing T’s teeth. I sat T on the toilet and told him not to move anywhere, and made B sit at other end of hallway while I cleaned everything up. Good thing I made T sit on the can for 10 minutes cause he had a good dump. Then we finally went to bed and B starts complaining of a sore tummy, but he seems OK now, just hope he isn’t getting a concussion from his head injury. The house is a complete disaster. There are just way too many good shows on Thursday night and we don’t have enough VCR’s for me to tape everything I wanna see and the Boy team just kicked the Girl Team’s ass on The Apprentice. I can’t wait for the ER premiere next. So, nothing much today, just the usual. So, how as your day?”

He told me he loved me very much and hung up.

9 Comments:

Blogger BeachMama said...

Wow, it sounds like a busy day, but minus the van oil change, the stitches and the broken mirror.... ok, I guess your dear friend showing up and happy hour/supper would have been great enough for me, but I would have been dead asleep on the floor. I did catch The Apprentice and loved it. The guys were pretty good.

Anna - who doesn't even want to mention the Kingston part ;)

2:52 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good answer. :)

3:34 PM EDT  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Yowza, that is a day. And anyone who says a mom doesn't work should be strung up by the...

Oh, never mind, you husband knew just the right thing to do.

6:20 PM EDT  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Nancy you always make your life sound like it's soooo Normal. Of course it scares the crap outta me. Of course it's friday and all I can think about is being in MONTREAL with you and the LADIES (if we can call ourselves that) and I'm on my 2nd glass of wine missing you all.

But then you made me laugh as you hubby said love you and hungs up! Guilt is an amazing thing!

You ROCK!

7:30 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're my hero!!!

Amazing what moms can go through in a day!!

Hoping tomorrow is a little more "unusual" for you

hugs

9:35 PM EDT  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Whew! Guess he'll know better than to ask for elaboration next time, huh?

10:20 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's like that Far Side cartoon, where when humans speak dogs hear "Blah blah blah blah FOOD blaah blah" and cats hear nothing. When wives speak, husbands hear ".....nothing too exciting.........So, nothing much today, just the usual. So, how as your day?".

You are lucky that he even registers the sound of your voice. Steve has suffered some hearing loss due to RAWK N ROLLLL and so he misses out when he can't read lips, when people speak behind or to the side of him, or when their voices are too high or too low and when they use certain consonants. I seem to hit all of those marks, and so when I speak, he claims to hear nothing but "bstybeetbeepbrapnyetpeep" and just tries to guess what I'm bitching about this time based on the surroundings, my general demeanor and state of dishevelment.

11:06 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need a raise :~)

...but I'm glad you had your Night To Shine...;~)

12:08 AM EDT  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

LMAO, I was going to say exactly what Robin said!!

Bet he's sorry he asked. And I also agree with SnackMommy - you need a raise.

Bravo on a job well done. You continue to be my hero...

8:40 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home