Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Dear Parents of Twin Babies,

I do run the risk of pissing some of you off, but you pissed me off today too. This is a chance I choose to take.

I am also a twin parent. I once had two babies in the stroller at the mall. At the very busy holiday Monday mall in Montreal. Whenever someone, anyone, would approach me to admire, inquire or empathize over my twins, I always welcomed you.

Today I was at the mall. I saw three sets of baby twins. I did not seek any of you out, you were just there. Right beside me. So, I admired and inquired about your twins. They are all oh, so absolutely beautiful. But the response I got from you? The sneer on your face and complete ignorance would indicate nothing other than you thinking that it was me who just let go the smelliest of all rotten egg farts right beside you. Well guess what, it wasn't me. I just wanted to share with you those same feelings of being so completely blessed to have twins. Apparently you don't share my sentiments? I feel bad for you, cause IMHO, you really, really should.

Perhaps I am a little more sensitive than normal because our twins arrived after more than a little infertility challenge. I don't know about you, how it happened, where or in what position, and nor do I care. You will also notice that I NEVER ask. Because I sincerely do not care.

We always thought is was so unique and fun and everything warm and fuzzy about having twins bless our lives. I wanted to shout it out and share it with the entire universe. Don't you?

I do realize and respect that your window of opportunity is extremely short lived with 4 month old twins in the stroller. But I also don't think it matters if you are in the wine glass aisle at Winners or at an airport late for a flight that a mere 6.5 seconds to smile, say hello, and send me off with a polite "have a nice day" would kill you either. I mean, pul-eeeze.

Well, sneer away if you want. I for one savoured every single iota of special attention when my almost 5 year old twin boys received. Now I get more sympathy than anything else, and Lord know, there are days I need it. So I strongly urge you to enjoy every single moment you can, cause you deserve it.

I would also like to add that I smile and coo and "aaawww" at just about every baby and little kid I see. I love them all. So, I don't mean to intentionally exclude all parents, cause actually, the parents with singletons are rather nice. It was just 'you' twin ones that irked me today.

Yours in Twindome,

Nancy

P.S. Oh, and one more thing. I don't recommend walking by Laura Secord the day after Easter, cause you may just buy way too much chocolate at 50% off. Mmmmm.

9 Comments:

Blogger BeachMama said...

Wow, if only I had been so blessed with twins. I actually feel a little ripped off when I see Mom's with twins. I wonder, why didn't I get two at a time? Don't get me wrong, I am blessed with the one and one coming, but there is always a little pang in my heart when I see Mom's with twins, even the occaisional one with triplets.

I will admit though that I don't like strangers poking at my baby. If you just smile and say hi, great, but please no poking :).

7:24 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is wrong with some people. It doesn't cost a THING to smile. Shit, they could even find a babysitter that way - something that they OBVIOUSLY need. That, and some laxatives.

Sorry your trip was irritating!

9:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Coffeypot said...

You are much nicer than me. If she had given me that attitude after I complimented her on her little ones, I would have said, “Well, you have a nice day, and, if you will wait here for a few minuets, I will run down to the store and bring your cute little monkeys a banana.”

12:44 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMHO ... I don't think it's fair to read so much into it and put such a negative spin on those moms. How can you possibly know their story or their level of thankfulness and blessedness by one interaction in a mall.

Lighten up.

2:36 PM EDT  
Blogger nancy said...

The intent of my 'letter' wasn't solely directed at that one particlar family. It happens to me more often than not. I was trying to get my point across to ALL parents of multiples who tick me off.

Sure I can lighten up, and am glad to, but then what fun would I have on my very own blog by not using my very own opinion.

Sheesh Anon - lighten up.

7:08 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always loved (love!) the attention people pay my kids. Especially on days that I feel sleep-deprived, b*tchy, annoyed with them, it reminds me how special they are and how much I love them. And any stranger who entertains my child in a busy grocery store or airport line-up is a blessing! I don't always know what to say (seems odd to say thanks when complemented on them - like it's my doing that they're cute?) but I try to smile.

Sorry you had some bad experiences, Nancy - must not have had the troops in tow, eh?

9:11 PM EDT  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

You tell 'em Nancy, snotty parents and Anonymous both!

Seriously, what does it take to get people to smile these days?

9:52 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG seriously... LOL I have the SAME thing happen to me!!!! When the twins were babies people hounded me but I was always polite. Now when I see other new moms of twins, SAME THING!!! They are just a bunch of ignorant jerks!! LOL like they birthed golden children or something. I once told someone, "Oh I have twins too". I didn't have them with me; and she looked at me like I must be lying! LOL.

10:21 AM EDT  
Blogger pokettiger said...

My twin girls are 11 months now and I have always thought the attention of people oohing and aahing over them to be cute and sweet. I was recently told my babies are even cuter than a Gerber baby, and of course I agree. In those really early sleep deprived days a trip to the store with them was a pick-me-up because having people remind me how lucky I am to have these two sweet little girls was just what I needed. It is their loss to respond so poorly to a smile and a sweet inquiry about their babes.

5:35 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home