Monday, January 08, 2007

A virgin no longer

Well, I did it. I used a slow cooker (crock pot). My brother gave me one for my birthday.

This is a bigger deal than it should be, at least to me. You see, I have always been rather bold about how anti-crock pot I am. Those statements stem back to the days in the 70's when my mother would create these gawd awful bland and mushy stews in her crock pot. I hated them. I am not a stew person, which doesn't help. It isn't what's in it, or the flavour, it is all about the texture.

Anyway, my brother broke ground when he handed this crock pot over to me. It was like a dare. A dare he knew I would accept, and he knew I would like.

We are 2/2. I rec'd the Company's Coming cookbook for Slow Cookers. Great book! We've done the red cabbage in brown sugar and vinegar (very yum!), and last night we had the split pea soup. We served it up with some fresh buns, sliced cheeses, pickles and it was a fantastic supper. I concede. I threw together the ingredients at 8:30 AM and left it. I did NOTHING. Well actually, I did lots! Instead of preparing dinner all afternoon, we finished putting away all the Christmas stuff and at 4:30 I was playing with the kids. I am ALWAYS making supper at 4:30 (unless we are ordering in). It was such a great experience.

I am converted, no longer the slow cooker virgin.

If you have a fave to share, feel free!

P.S. Do you think it is as weird as I do that I am telling you this?

12 Comments:

Blogger Marni said...

I love my crockpot but don't use it very much... I've never found any really good recipes. I think I'm gonna check out your recommendation and see what happens.

Thanks!

11:34 AM EST  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

Well, just last night I hauled out the slow cooker - for the second time in a week, no less - and made what turned out to be pretty tasty baked beans, to go with your to-die-for meatloaf recipe that I snatched from Andrea's blog. The beans were good, but oh boy was that a great meatloaf. My folks loved it, Beloved loved it - and well, the boys ate pogos, but that's hardly a surprise.

We also made a bean soup last week that was definitely a keeper. I'll send you the recipe later.

12:06 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my slowcooker - actually cooking a pork roast in Chicken broth is very good or a roast beef (they actually turn out better if they still have ice crystal in it instead of the recommended completly defrosted. I also have a wonderful berry cobbler recipe. Ther eare hundreds of wonderful recipes on the web.

1:38 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got crazy the other night and made enchiladas in mine. It was a astounding success!

Kids Storybook Crazy

2:15 PM EST  
Blogger BeachMama said...

I love mine too! I just found five new recipes in (don't snicker) the Martha Stewart Every Day Foods (December 2006). They include, pulled pork, lamb shanks, ginger chicken and two others that I want to try.

Congratulations on making the move, I am sure over time you will love it more and more.

3:00 PM EST  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

funny how I just so happened to pull mine out from kitchen oblivion a few weeks ago after years of non-use

I've never been a big fan of slow cookers either, but I'm slowly converting. Having a warm meal waiting after running around all day with the kids is pure homemakers success. I've only used it a handful of times but the meatballs I made last week were quite teh success

so congrats and ready to try new recipes along with you!

4:36 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't used my crockpot since I was pregnant, I think? I should dig it out...

So, is a reformed Crock Pot Virgin similar to a Anti-Soccer Mama-Wanna-Be who just bought a mini-van?

4:52 PM EST  
Blogger chichimama said...

I love my crockpot. Cooking Light has a great recipe book, most of what I cook comes from there.

5:50 PM EST  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

NANCY USED A CROCKPOT?!?

*bam*

that's Sharon fainting on the floor!

Welcome to the dark side and may I say

I LOVE YOUR BROTHER!

Ok I'm done now.

NO I"M NOT!
NANCY USED A CROCKPOT!!! NANCY USED A CROCK POT!!!...HEY YOU OVER THERE...YA YOU!! NANCY USED A CROCK POT AND LIKED IT

Sharon
Crockpot fiend.

4:19 PM EST  
Blogger Zany Mama said...

I am a goober, and I so love my crockpot! Welcome to the darkside, my friend.

10:38 PM EST  
Blogger jo(e) said...

This makes me want to go out and buy a crockpot. My mother used to use one, and I remember how good the house would smell when she did.

7:58 PM EST  
Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Italian beef, spaghetti sauce, and tapioca are my crockpot faves.

9:40 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home