Tuesday, June 12, 2007

the shoeshop redemption

The boys and I are out doing errands this morning. Lately they have been the best shopping buddies, we have fun. Anyway, today is Mommy's turn to get a pair of shoes. We enter the large box-like shoe store, and almost right away I see something that would suffice what I am looking for.

A pair of flip flops, but a little grown up (no primary colours) brown with sparkles and such, not a high quality brand, nor wise purchase. They cost $19.99. Ben likes them.

We poke around some more and I see another pair of leather slip-on sandals, by a very reputable brand which I know do not hurt my feet, nor my ailing knees or hip. They are brown, tremendously comfortable, look good (to me) and would be a most sensible purchase. They cost $79.99. Ben likes them.

I decide to make the more expensive, sensible purchase. Note: read I decide. Me. Moi. They are my feet, no?

When Ben realizes I am not buying the sparkly flip flops, he is heart broken. He thought I was buying both pairs. I explained to him that there is no need to buy two pairs, it really isn't very practical, and why I think the more comfortable shoes that will last years longer are my choice.

He is genuinely heart broken, hugging the $19.99 box which he has been carrying around for me. He is getting that quivering chin, water eyes look, "But Mommy, these ones are so beautiful on your toes."

Sigh. I did ask for their help. That was part of the bargain. Hmmm....I am standing there, as though this decision is really important, borderline life altering. But hey - we ARE talking about shoes here people. Yet, my son is near tears. What to do....what to do?

What would you do? What did I do? You be the judge.

11 Comments:

Blogger SRH said...

$20 extra bucks, a happy kid and 2 pairs of shoes. That's my bet.

4:37 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you bought both pairs.

That quivering chin gets me every time.

6:08 PM EDT  
Blogger Marisa said...

You soooo bought that second pair. LOL It's a no-brainer, really.

I was at Globo today too. I bought these Keds - practical, inexpensive, and comfortable.

10:24 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say......you bought both...that's what I would have done ;-)

10:59 PM EDT  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Me being tight would have tried to explain that 2 pairs are not really worth it but then in the end I would hve bought both. And then if anyone said anything I would have said HE said they looked great on my toes...How could I say NO?

so Pictures please!

7:50 AM EDT  
Blogger BeachMama said...

You bought them both!! I would have done it and proudly told everyone that they were the pair that J picked out.

Enjoy!

8:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I'd love to take Ben shopping with me, so he could talk me into both pairs. I always want both pairs!

10:15 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure hope you bought them both! Like the others, I certainly would have. :) Yay Ben!

12:52 PM EDT  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

Me? I'd never buy flip-flops. Can't stand stuff between my toes. *shudder*

BUT! I'll stray from the crowd and say you left behind the practical but expensive ones and just got the flip-flops. And bought yourself a wonderful new family story!

1:26 PM EDT  
Blogger Zany Mama said...

I would have seen it as a divine sign that I was really supposed to buy both - you bought both, right?

2:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

So WHAT DID YOU DO?

7:52 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home