Friday, January 06, 2006

Banished


It's poker night. My hubby used to host such a gathering on occasion BK (before kids). This is the first time since even before I was pregnant. He and 5 pals are like little kids in a candy store (or if you're like mine, in a dollar store with your purses) only subsitute the purses with beer. The poker chips have been meticulously counted, the family room was converted from playroom to sports room including a stuffed gorilla wearing a hockey helmet on my mantle and a hockey jersey hanging on the wall where my World Map usually resides.

The guys really do have it easy, I mean REALLY. Not only do they never have to deal with menses, estrogen, The Change, or dare I say childbirth but even their get togethers are so fucking simple.

Girls Night to hang out with friends: What will we wear? How exciting! We may even don some make up and comb our hair, and wear a blouse?? (WTF is that?). Decisions about who will make and bring what dip, who will bake and bring what squares, who will bring the red, white, rosé wine, who will bring the cosmoplitans, what treats to we bring for the pregnant/bf-ing Moms, what about a hostess gift? Hmmm....then there is the assurance that childcare will be provided, yes, usually in the shape of the father, but even the Dads need a few reminders and helpful hints about who went poo on that given day or not, who ate what, are they allowed a snack, is it bath night, the jammies are in the dryer, etc.

Guys night. Jeans, t-shirt (cleanliness not an issue), beer and $20 worth of chips & pretzels and they are SO happy. OK, throw in a deck of cards and a frozen pizza in the oven. Done. No fashion issues, childcare nit-picks, they know everything and everyone will be well taken care of.

Am I complaining? Actually, I'm not! I am rather amused by it all. I already knew this, but for some reason tonight, I am getting quite a kick out of it. I am banned to the upstairs folding laundry, having a bath, reading my book, checking email, paying the bills, self-manicuring and pedicuring, the candles are lit, the cat is purring on the bed and I may even start a little project.

Perhaps it is an age thing, or a life thing, where years ago BK I never thought twice about it. But now that there are a half dozen thirty-something males, all (but one) fathers to children aged 7 and younger in my family room laughing, drinking, eating junk food, farting and making a mess, for some reason I think it is outrageously hilarious.

I think I am the big winner tonight. Ante up.

8 Comments:

Blogger BeachMama said...

Hope you enjoyed your pampering night :) Your nails must look fine and I hope you got to read a good book for a bit.

It kills me that the guys can jut throw stuff together and hang out. At the same time, I love that there is planning into a girls night as it makes it like an event.

Anna

10:13 AM EST  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

nancy

Sounds like a true night in. I had a bunch of girls who used to get together for poker once and awhile. Grant one Mon Dit and I was toast. We never dressed up ( most of us came from the barn and smelled as such but it added to the game.) or put on make up that was the rules and all we had was Chips and peanuts and Frozen Pizza. It was hoot. Till our Worst (and yet best Player) moved away. LOL!

Should try that on a MGW weekend..Pj's and Ordered IN Pizza cause even turning on the oven is too much like work. ;)

Bet you had a GREAT Night ;)

10:30 AM EST  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Um yeah you are the big winner. Whoo-eee, sounds like the men's party will need airing out. LOL!

11:39 AM EST  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

Ooo, what fun! I would have been equally happy to be part of either evening, the sweaty, smelly men with cards night or the banished to the bathtub with candles and a good book night!

1:26 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I knew how to play poker I'd do that too. So maybe I'll have to host a come-as-you-are UNO night instead! lol

10:19 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did you eavesdrop? Were they talking about shampoos and wallets and shoes? Did they pick up a Cheeto and say "This is going straight to my hips?"

9:53 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with marla...what do they talk about?? I bet they can be REALLY bad too!! gossip, sex (or lack of it, you said they all have kiddies under 7, except 1), work etc...My man likes to talk too, although he would never admit it!!! But then he mostly does this talking with me so I can't complain!! Happy New Year!

1:43 PM EST  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

amazing how poker and poker nights are all the rage!

sounds like you had a good evening and I, for one, would have been tempted to eavesdrop ;)

12:33 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home