Friday, August 26, 2005

I need a hero

All together now à la Bonnie Tyler

I need a hero
I'm holding out for at hero 'till the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
Oh, and he’s gotta be squeaky clean in every facet or he’s no good

Why is it so hard these days to NOT have any ‘heroes’? Why must society turn against anything possibly good and find something bad/wrong/negative/questionable/accusatory about whoever the potential good guy may be. This whole
Lance Armstrong doping allegations has me thinking. Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t, I don’t really care cause that isn’t my point. You see? I am a very nice and accepting person about the other, I like everyone, until you ‘wrong’ me (or really piss me off). I’ll trust just about anyone until you give me good reason not to. So, until it can be proven 110% that he used the banned substance, (within all the current published regulations by all the current governing bodies) then who am I to question?

This is what pisses me off. Here we have a chance to truly enjoy someone being well, (sorry, I really need to find another word) HERO. And all we do (mainly pointing finger at nasty media who starts it all) is find something to take that away. He did a pretty f-ing amazing thing, dontcha think? Sure, there are many out there who have just reason to question his credibility, his truthfulness or not, but where the hell is ‘innocent till proven guilty’? (ignoring intruding thoughts of O.J. & M.J. here – my blog, I can be a little selective, no?).

I realize some of the details from this story go back to some urine samples/tests from 1999 or thereabouts…trying not to get on the ethical debate here…but how far back do we go? Does this mean we drug test everyone retroactively and disturb
Johnny Weissmuller and Jesse Owens from their peaceful rest and ask them to pee – just in case we can strip all of their World records and Olympic Gold medals away? Ay yi yi.

I want to go back and savour the success, excitement and accomplishments of some of my heroes and idols such as
Terry Fox, Nadia Comaneci, and Helen Keller (just to name a few). They were good, it was all good. Now society questions every little tiny eff-ing thing such as: New Pope elected! Nope, too old. New Governor General for Canada! Nope, wrong colour, heritage, political background. New Olympic swimming dynamo! Oops, he screwed up too, DUI and not even the legal age to drink. WTF is going on people???

Who is your hero? I have a new one, her name is
Emma.

9 Comments:

Blogger DaniGirl said...

My hero is a stay-at-home mom to twins who manages to keep her sense of humour even when parenting for long stretches without backup.

2:16 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hero is you ladies who can come up with these witty blogs. I have a hard enough time being creative with dinner!

3:22 PM EDT  
Blogger nancy said...

Not good enough....a REAL one...play with me...pul-eeze???

4:19 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hero.......my papa, he was everything to me! My nanny and my papa together--I always thought if I could have half of what they have together, in my marriage, I'd be a lucky lady!!!
Another one of my heros.....some days, myself. For putting up with, tolerating and being patient with all the obstacles in my life...and still managing to have a positive outlook!

FYI- I also have murder on the brain some days!!!!!!!!!!

9:12 PM EDT  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Hmm, I'd have to second Dani, in the Hero or Heroine department a Mom of twins (or anyone of our dear friends who goes it alone for long stretches) who is a part-time single parent a large amount of the time. You are my heros.

Anna

9:20 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nance,

Good blog! You are so right and it sickens me to think that everything "smut" is highlighted by the media.

My hero ... Sir Edmund Hillary. First man to climb mount Everest, and then he invested in Nepal by building schools, year after year. What a terrific man.

Love ya! Jen

9:14 AM EDT  
Blogger SRH said...

I used to idolize some people and make them out to be my heroes. Then I matured a bit and realized that only aspects of them were truly heroic, and sometimes those aspects were temporary at best. Sometimes those aspects were more legend than truth.

I am not saying that heroes are not out there, but I am commenting that heroic deeds are done by humans who are flawed, and should be thought of as such.

I am trying with all my might to become my own hero. I am trying to be the absolute best person that I can become, but not some idealized version of a person who, in reality, most likely does not exist.

1:08 PM EDT  
Blogger SRH said...

Wow, that came off as a bit confrontational, but that was not my intended tone at all.

1:10 PM EDT  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

Nancy, saw this in the Citizen today and thought of you!

http://www.caglecartoons.com/images/preview/{A2A4B185-1B77-465D-9E09-0CEC4DCB727E}.gif

xo Dani, still trying to think of a decent hero to comment on

8:16 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home